SAFurs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Malicious Mobile Adverts

3 posters

Go down

Malicious Mobile Adverts Empty Malicious Mobile Adverts

Post by SynxTheLynx Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:15 am

Hey there.

It seems this Web Host who displays adverts for this forum (I assume forumotion) loves to display adverts. Unfortunately, the adverts that display on mobile also come in the form of alert boxes trying to deceive you and redirect your browser activity.

Screenshot 1
What pops up upon visiting pages on the forum.

Screenshot 2
Trying to back only returns the alert box, and by then it's already redirected you.

Screenshot 3
If you manage to survive the popups, then the usual adverts load in.

These alert boxes come from a number of different URL's, the last claiming I needed to scan my android for viruses.

I suggest that something is done about these malicious advertising techniques before someone's device really does become infected, and to stop this general annoyance.
SynxTheLynx
SynxTheLynx

Back to top Go down

Malicious Mobile Adverts Empty Re: Malicious Mobile Adverts

Post by KeirSkunky Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:04 am

Isnt there an addblock mobile version? I'd suggest it for a temp fix
KeirSkunky
KeirSkunky

http://Michael-Keir-Ecclesia.sofurry.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SynxTheLynx Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:08 am

KeirSkunky wrote: Isnt there an addblock mobile version? I'd suggest it for a temp fix
Ahh, thanks for making me look it up. I didn't realize adblock plus had released something for mobile. Last time I tried ad blocking was years ago with my old android that I had to root.
SynxTheLynx
SynxTheLynx

Back to top Go down

Post by Oracle Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:45 am

Oh gosh, I am so sorry to hear of this.

The problem I have right now is that on Forumotion, being free, they control the ads. I couldn't even 'pick and choose' ads if I wanted.

Admittedly I have made a mistake by failing to check the site with my Adblock off, or use a phone to see the visuals there. This is because I assumed the regular users to be computer users with knowledge of Adblock (and no malicious ads for desktop use). Apparently I am wrong and this means I have disappointed the community with my mistake.

Unfortunately all I can suggest is to keep running AdBlock, or if that is not an option, using discretion to avoid malicious issues. The only other possible option is purchasing credits to remove ads on the forum, but the price is not cheap.

I will look into these ads and see if I can report them to Forumotion.
Oracle
Oracle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SynxTheLynx Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:52 am

Oracle wrote:Oh gosh, I am so sorry to hear of this.

The problem I have right now is that on Forumotion, being free, they control the ads. I couldn't even 'pick and choose' ads if I wanted.

Admittedly I have made a mistake by failing to check the site with my Adblock off, or use a phone to see the visuals there. This is because I assumed the regular users to be computer users with knowledge of Adblock (and no malicious ads for desktop use). Apparently I am wrong and this means I have disappointed the community with my mistake.

Unfortunately all I can suggest is to keep running AdBlock, or if that is not an option, using discretion to avoid malicious issues. The only other possible option is purchasing credits to remove ads on the forum, but the price is not cheap.

I will look into these ads and see if I can report them to Forumotion.
Assuming and end user should never be used together ;D

I do use adblock on my computer, though never had a reason to use it on my phone until now. Though I do know a number of people who've never even heard of adblock, which surprises me. It's just a heads up to you that your provider doesn't moderate their advertisers.
SynxTheLynx
SynxTheLynx

Back to top Go down

Post by Oracle Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:46 am

SynxTheLynx wrote:
Assuming and end user should never be used together ;D

I do use adblock on my computer, though never had a reason to use it on my phone until now. Though I do know a number of people who've never even heard of adblock, which surprises me. It's just a heads up to you that your provider doesn't moderate their advertisers.

Lesson learnt.

Understood, but usually it is an agreement between sites of what is acceptable and what is not. I am sure if there is malicious content they would want this advertiser away from their site.
Oracle
Oracle
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum